Wednesday, August 27, 2008

#16 Wikis

We all know about the lack of editorial control with wikis. BSC experienced this first hand. Can anyone become liable with statements made on a wiki? Also, if the information on wikipedia has to be vertified, then why not go directly to a more reliable source? Print encyclopedias can have mistakes as well, but at least they have copy readers of editors to manage the information.

On a more positive side, I can see the advantage of wikis in libraries. I thought of our Greg Bach and the Biz Wiki at Ohio University Libraries. I think the resources referred to on that site are restricted to their patrons. I loved the Book Lovers Wiki and especially the 5 star Reviews. I no longer want to start a book that doesn't come recommended by friends and I am assuming that this library site would be reliable - no Danielle Steele.

2 comments:

Liz Mason said...

I think that is a good question about liability for entries on wikipedia. How can you know who made an entry?

Marlene Anderson said...

Wikipedia does have some policies and guidelines in place to help keep things on the up & up. Among the things that the can be done are removing content permanently permanently blocking some posters. Take a look at "About Wikipedia" on the Wikipedia site.